Monday, October 15, 2012

Kitchen Update- Starting to Come Together!

My mom and I went shopping over the weekend and I got a couple of pieces for the kitchen; red gingham fabric for curtains and rugs for the floor. I was a little nervous about the rugs, because the were not the braided rugs that Tom and I had in mind, but I am so happy with the end result. The kitchen feels like it is coming together now, and it feels a lot warmer than before. Excuse the Halloween lights in the picture, it is that time of year.

The curtains are handmade. A couple of years ago I was looking for curtains at a department store and the prices made me gag. A curtain is more or less a rectangle of fabric with the edges turned over and a sleeve stitched into the top to run a curtain rod through. That being said, why are curtains so darn expensive? I made the decision that day to make my own from now on and I've never looked back. Not only is it extremely cost effective, I also have the luxury of making the curtains specifically for the window, with the exact fabric that matches with my decor.

Our kitchen window overlooks our balcony, which we set up with some window boxes full of herbs and a bistro set. It's a nice view with a lot of sun, so I opted to make cafe curtains. This was actually my first time making this style of curtains, usually I make drapes, but I really like how they came out.

It took me about 3 hours to cut and sew curtains for both my window and the door to our pantry. I was able to get them done the same day I bought the fabric. Tom was impressed and took me shopping for curtain rods so that we could hang them the same day. Needless to say, I am pleased.

Next on our list of projects for the kitchen? Refinishing our baker's rack with a nice coat of black spray paint. I just need to wait for the rain to stop for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...