Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halfway Through

In addition to last night being Halloween, it was also the halfway point of my fertility injections. The needles are starting to sting a little more and my tummy is very tender. I have more or less been living off of Tylenol and my heating pad for the last couple of days. I had my first ultrasound on Tuesday, and everything is looking good, the shots are definitely doing their job. Tonight I get to add a third medication to the mix. Fortunately, the nurse told me I could mix it with my other medication so I still only need to give myself two shots.

I also had a reality check this week. I looked at my calender and did some math out, if everything continues to go according to schedule, I will be having surgery next week for my egg retrieval. Five days after that, the embryos will be transferred back into me. In other words, in about two weeks, I am likely going to be pregnant. This process has definitely flown by. The cramps from the shots suck, there is no denying it, but at the same time, it is only for twelve days, and before I know it, I will be finally experiencing pregnancy.

One of my friends on Facebook connected me with one of her friends that had recently gone through IVF. It was really nice to be able to talk to someone on the other side. She happen to have the same doctor that Tom and I do, and was put on the same medication regimen. She now has two beautiful twin boys. She describes infertility as something she would not wish upon her worst enemy, but at the same time, she appreciates the inner strength it forced her to discover. They say that God does not throw anything at you that you cannot handle.

If all goes as planned, Tom and I find out if our IVF cycle was successful on Thanksgiving. My new friend told me that the two weeks between embryo transfer and the pregnancy test will be the longest two weeks of your life, but if you meditate, you will know. My response is that I will be doing a lot of self-reflection and meditation, and I hope to have something very special to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I have a cousin who has had a lot of trouble getting pregnant. She still hasn't been able to have a baby. While I don't know what that feels like, I can't imagine having to go through what you have. It will be worth it though, I have kids so I can promise you that. I am praying this all works out in your favor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And best wishes and baby dust to your cousin, for some people it can be a long a difficult process.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...