Sunday, November 11, 2012

Post Egg Retrieval Update

Source Human embryos, not ours
On Friday I had my egg retrieval surgery. It was very quick, the prep actually took the longest part. I got to my doctor's office at 8am on Friday, they took me out back and had me change into a gown while Tom produces his, ahem, contribution. I got hooked up to an IV, and the nurse went over a pile of paperwork. Tom joined me as the nurse was finished up paperwork and the anesthesiologist came in. I was asked to pee, and then they walked me into the OR. I was positioned on the table, and the next thing I knew I was waking up and the procedure was done. All in all, the doctor was able to retrieve 13 eggs. Our goal was 10-12, so I did good. The procedure itself took about 15 minutes. Once I woke up, they wheeled me back to a recovery area. I dozed a little more, and then they gave me cookies and ginger ale. The nurse retrieved Tom, and as soon as I was able to pee again I was allowed to get dressed and go home.

The rest of Friday was spent laying on the couch with a heating pad and taking Tylenol every 4 hours. All of the surgical literature says to expect menstrual-like cramping after egg retrieval. Menstrual cramps don't make me cry, so yeah, it hurt. I was fortunate in that I did not experience any nausea, and as long as I stayed put with my heating pad, I was good. I actually went to work on Saturday, although I did use a second chair to keep my feet up. Today I feel fine, occasional mild cramping, but aside from that I would say I am back to normal.

We found out on Saturday that of the 13 eggs retrieved, 12 fertilized. You can probably guess that this is really good, Tom and I were giddy. Today we found out that our little embryos are healthy enough to stay in the incubator until day 5, which is also known as the blastocyst stage. Tom and I are very fortunate in that we have insurance coverage for IVF, but it only gives us 3 lifetime cycles. I wanted to give this cycle every possible chance so that we can save our other two cycles for siblings. Scientific research indicates that embryos transferred on day 5 have a higher chance of implanting, which ultimately results in pregnancy. Our doctor explained it by saying the longer the embryos are able to incubate, the better able the embryologist is able to choose the healthiest embryos to transfer. Healthy embryos make healthy babies.

What this all boils down to is that on Wednesday I will have two embryos transferred back into me.  In other words, I will be pregnant with twins (until proven otherwise) in three days. Tom and I have been trying to start a family for three years, we knew it was going to be a difficult battle, but now we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Our friends and family have been so supportive throughout this IVF cycle, everyone is praying for us. Tom and I have this gut feeling that we are going to have twins next August. I am dreading the two week wait until we find out if everything is successful. Our nurse on Friday told me that the stars all seem to be aligned this time, my egg retrieval was nine months from Tom's birthday, and the transfer will be nine months from my birthday. I should also throw in there that 13 is our lucky number. We shall see.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! Sounds scary yet very exciting! I really hope everything goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about you earlier today and I am hoping that everything goes perfectly for you! I am hoping God blesses you with two, sweet, healthy babies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to both of you! AEG, you nailed it right on the head, at times I am terrified and others I'm just giddy with excitement, it is a lot to process. Michelle, thank you for your thoughts and prayers, Tom and I are gracious for the support we are getting and it is definitely helping us through.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...